Information about Dental ID Cards & Claim Forms

ID cards will not be mailed to legacy CenturyLink employees and retirees

To:  All U.S.-based CenturyLink employees and retirees


  • The dental administrator for legacy CenturyLink employees changed from Delta Dental to MetLife on January 1, 2012.
  • Delta Dental provided dental ID cards to members in 2011. MetLife does not provide dental ID cards.
  • Instead, take a MetLife claim form that can be provided to your dental provider.
  • The claim form should include the "Name of the Group Dental Program" which is:
    CenturyLink, Inc. 148069.
  • Most dental providers are familiar with MetLife and their billing processes and opt to submit dental claims via the MetLife provider website.
  • Dental offices can verify your coverage by calling the MetLife provider service center at 877.638.3379.

Who can I contact if I have additional questions?

  • If you have questions regarding your Health and Life benefits, you can contact the CenturyLink Service Center at 800.729.7526 between 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Central time Monday through Friday.